Ontario based its new Minimum Wage Fair Work. These people have never owned a business or ever worked in one. Each one of these new requirements is flawed and open up even more abuse by employees and impose hardship and extra cost to all businesses.
Lets look at each one and my opinion why they are all do nothing but raise prices of everything and force employers to lay off workers or reduce hours. The people these new laws were to protect are the ones it will hurt the most.
- Raise Ontario’s general minimum wage to $14 per hour on January 1, 2018, and then to $15 on January 1, 2019, followed by annual increases at the rate of inflation
- An increase from $11.40 to $14.00 a 22% increase overnight. Prices everywhere have already gone up to compensate for this extra cost and will go up even more. When was the last time you got a 22% increase? This will eliminate many entry-level jobs where people get experience in the work working. Employers can’t make up a 22% increase by increasing sales by 22% so their only choice is to reduce their biggest cost which is payroll.
- Mandate equal pay for part-time, temporary, casual and seasonal employees doing the same job as full-time employees; and equal pay for temporary help agency employees doing the same job as employees at the agencies’ client companies
- Not sure how this will work. If you worked somewhere for 3 years as a sales clerk does this mean the new part-time person just hired will make the same as you? Where is the incentive to work hard and get a raise because of that extra work? There is none. Forcing outside companies to pay the same as you do is nuts.
- Expand personal emergency leave to 10 days per calendar year for all employees, with at least two paid days per year for employees who have been employed for at least a week.
- Employed a week is crazy and I am sure there are those that will milk this for every cent they can get. Again an extra cost to businesses that will be passed on to consumers. Who decides what is an emergency? The employer or the employee?
- Ban employers from requiring a doctor’s sick note from an employee taking personal emergency leave
- Sure this will work if you add it to the one above and give people a chance to get paid for a make-believe illness. We all know every employee is honest and would never lie to their employer.
- Provide up to 17 weeks off without the fear of losing their job when a worker or their child has experienced or is threatened with domestic or sexual violence, including paid leave for the first five days
- Again who decides if any of the above applies and the first 5 days paid. Can you use this three or four times a year and get 20 or 25 days paid off?
- Bring Ontario’s vacation time in line with the national average by ensuring at least three weeks’ vacation after five years with the same employer.
- I can live with that one but the words “at least” scare me if I still had my own business. Another weeks pay I have to pay to somebody that does just enough to keep their job.
- Make employee scheduling fairer, including requiring employees to be paid for three hours of work if their shift is canceled within 48 hours of its scheduled start time.
- This is a beauty but if I was an employee and had to pay somebody 3 hours pay they will have to get ready to work, incur the expense to get to work and I would just send them home after three hours. All of the above will cost me plenty so I am sure not paying anybody for not working.
The people this put this disaster together are just trying to buy votes by screwing people who really don’t understand that they might even be worse off as everything will cost more and they will just pay more taxes which is the REAL REASON for this rubbish.