Ontario based its new Minimum Wage Fair Work. These people have never owned a business or ever worked in one. Each one of these new requirements is flawed and open up even more abuse by employees and impose hardship and extra cost to all businesses.
Lets look at each one and my opinion why they are all do nothing but raise prices of everything and force employers to lay off workers or reduce hours. The people these new laws were to protect are the ones it will hurt the most.
- Raise Ontario’s general minimum wage to $14 per hour on January 1, 2018, and then to $15 on January 1, 2019, followed by annual increases at the rate of inflation
- An increase from $11.40 to $14.00 a 22% increase overnight. Prices everywhere have already gone up to compensate for this extra cost and will go up even more. When was the last time you got a 22% increase? This will eliminate many entry-level jobs where people get experience in the work working. Employers can’t make up a 22% increase by increasing sales by 22% so their only choice is to reduce their biggest cost which is payroll.
- Mandate equal pay for part-time, temporary, casual and seasonal employees doing the same job as full-time employees; and equal pay for temporary help agency employees doing the same job as employees at the agencies’ client companies
- Not sure how this will work. If you worked somewhere for 3 years as a sales clerk does this mean the new part-time person just hired will make the same as you? Where is the incentive to work hard and get a raise because of that extra work? There is none. Forcing outside companies to pay the same as you do is nuts.
- Expand personal emergency leave to 10 days per calendar year for all employees, with at least two paid days per year for employees who have been employed for at least a week.
- Employed a week is crazy and I am sure there are those that will milk this for every cent they can get. Again an extra cost to businesses that will be passed on to consumers. Who decides what is an emergency? The employer or the employee?
- Ban employers from requiring a doctor’s sick note from an employee taking personal emergency leave
- Sure this will work if you add it to the one above and give people a chance to get paid for a make-believe illness. We all know every employee is honest and would never lie to their employer.
- Provide up to 17 weeks off without the fear of losing their job when a worker or their child has experienced or is threatened with domestic or sexual violence, including paid leave for the first five days
- Again who decides if any of the above applies and the first 5 days paid. Can you use this three or four times a year and get 20 or 25 days paid off?
- Bring Ontario’s vacation time in line with the national average by ensuring at least three weeks’ vacation after five years with the same employer.
- I can live with that one but the words “at least” scare me if I still had my own business. Another weeks pay I have to pay to somebody that does just enough to keep their job.
- Make employee scheduling fairer, including requiring employees to be paid for three hours of work if their shift is canceled within 48 hours of its scheduled start time.
- This is a beauty but if I was an employee and had to pay somebody 3 hours pay they will have to get ready to work, incur the expense to get to work and I would just send them home after three hours. All of the above will cost me plenty so I am sure not paying anybody for not working.
The people this put this disaster together are just trying to buy votes by screwing people who really don’t understand that they might even be worse off as everything will cost more and they will just pay more taxes which is the REAL REASON for this rubbish.
Especially in Canada as you can sit track side for hours and see nothing. Even trains that normally come through at a certain time now see to be out cycle and nowhere to be found.
I guess that is why I head south of the border to Ohio where places like Fostoria and Bellevue Ohio see 100 trains or more each day. Also the variety of power you can see can offer surprises not very common here in Ontario.
I guess I should not complain as I have Ontario Southland Railway go by my apt window every day and can do video without going outside.
Today was forecast cloudy and possible rain but Sun has been out most of the day so will get dressed and head out for a coffee and see what I can find. I am sure it will run and hide as soon as I get out there.
Take care and have a great day.
Not really but the people who run the Canadian Passenger Rail Yahoo group must think so as they have booted me off the list for making fun of the VIA banana skin wraps of their locomotives for Canada’s 150 birthday. They refuse to admit that VIA blew it and that wrap was intended for VIA 40’s anniversary that is next year. It seems in March somebody at VIA finally realized they had done nothing for Canada’s 150 so they rushed out the 40th wrap and slapped a 150 banner on it.
They covered all the few Canadian flags that were on the LRC coaches and there is not one to be found on the wrapped equipment and this is supposed to be the 150th Canada wrap. How can you have a wrap that is celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday with no Canadian Flags and no red or white? Of course it was designed in Montreal so I guess we should have expected this. Not sure when silver and yellow became Canada’s colours but they could have done so much better.
I guess their discussion group does not allow for discussion and everything has to be to their liking or you are nothing but a trouble maker. That is okay I have better things to do than care what car numbers are on the Canadian. I always wondered what do people even do with that info. Okay to maybe have one or two but every one. They need to get a life.
Enough of that, rainy and cloudy again but I have a great day, I intend to. 🙂
I guess I don’t have a life as I don’t walk around with a cell phone permanently attached to my ear, sit in my car answering mind numbing texts, talk to the dashboard of my car or walk around with one of those wireless receivers hanging off my ear.
The cell phone may be the item that has changed how we communicate and be one of the best things to come along but at what cost? Cyber bullying and the ability to flash bomb somebody and spread embarrassing photos are some of the negative things which also make it one of the worst
I just can’t figure out how all these people became so important they can’t survive a minute without looking at their cell phone. We have become a generation of isolated people who can’t actually have a conversation in person.
There are days I don’t even look at mine and some days leave it at home. If people started adding up how much time they are controlled by their phones and could be doing constructive things they would be shocked.
As people become even more addicted to technology in their home and cars I feel the quality of life will suffer as there will be no time for just doing nothing. Technology may help in doing things but will only add to the stress as people try to pack even more into their lives everyday.
Good luck with that.
First the bad news. It seems my injection of much vitamin C is keeping the bugs at a manageable level but looks like it will take a couple days to chase them away for good.
The good news is when you are retired you don’t have to drag your sorry butt out of bed and into that nasty work world. Instead you can just stay in, keep warm, catch up on some moves and take it easy. The weather is helping with gray skies and rain and wet snow heading this way.
Today is football Sunday with my Patriots playing tonight. My XBMC provides me with all the games and more movies and TV shows than I can ever watch and all FREE.
It is that time of the year so take it easy, watch who you let breath on you and touch and make sure you have your flu shot. I find no only does it stop you from getting the flu but also heads if you pick up the cold bug.
Have a great day.
0Looks like I picked up a bug somewhere and it has decided to set up housekeeping in my nose. Lots of vitamin C and Tylenol and hopefully can knock it out before it takes hold.
I was going to go track side and do some video of VIA 80 and 71 but skies are dark gray and rain and wet snow forecast so guess I will do some indoor stuff.
Lots to do as trying to upgrade my 10-year-old Netbook from Win XP to Win 10. I had to upgrade to Win 7 first the to Win 10. I upgraded all my other computers to Win when it was free and saved an ISO file which allows me to install it on other computers. At that time Win 10 generated its own “key” as one was not required but now you require one. Good thing is you can extract the digital “key” that was generated and use it to install Win 10 now.
Took a while but everything seems to be running fine. Installed the missing software programs and now have Win 10 running.
I have to go to Ingersoll to pick up my prescriptions so will head out about 9 am and stop for coffee and see how many friends I can infect. 🙂
Have a good “bug free day
As much as I hate to admit it I think the days of shorts and t shirts is now well past us and will not be back for way too many months.
The joy of living where you have eight months of winter and 4 months of bad sledding. I know we are brainwashed into thinking the four or maybe in our case two seasons are great. The year I lived in California when I was young everybody said I would miss the different seasons and I am still waiting for that to happen.
Of course now a new chance for some snow photos and maybe even some snow plow photos if we get enough snow.
The more you embrace it and think of those glorious days of snow covered scenery all new and white it does not seem that bad.
I plan to enjoy it as the number of them I will be fully mobile and able to do it are numbered and then I will be mad and sad I did not enjoy them.
Bring it on, I am ready for another round of a good old fashioned Canadian Winter.